Series: Climate Change Observations - Atmosphere. This is 1 of a 4 part series that will provide you with the data to backup your climate case as an activist. Hit SAVE (top right of the post, across from the like button) to have easy access to this data whenever you need it.
- CO2 in the atmosphere has risen from 300 to 400 ppm since 1950, pre-industrial levels were 280 ppm.
- the rate of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere has increased 10x faster than in 1970.
- 90% of GHG emissions is from fossil fuels and 10% is from land use change.
- Emitting 1 tonne of GHG emissions today would take nature 30yrs to absorb 50%, 300 yrs for another 30% and the last 20% would take 1000 yrs to be removed from the atmosphere.
- Methane has 25X the GWP (global warming potential) but is 1/2 absorbed by nature in 12 yrs, the rest turns into CO2.
- N2O doubled in recent decades and has never been this high in 100,000 yrs, mostly attributed to agricultural practices.
- We've experienced a 1.2C rise in global mean temperature since 1970, the warmest 30 yrs in the last 1400 yrs.
This can all be fixed. Use this information when you write letters, convincing others to take action, #votefortheplanet , and talking with people who are apathetic.